loaded mashed potatoes recipe
Loaded Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Mashed potatoes are a classic side dish loved by many. But why settle for ordinary when you can make them extraordinary? Loaded mashed potatoes take this beloved dish to a whole new level, packed with rich and savory flavors. This recipe will guide you through creating the perfect loaded mashed potatoes that will leave your taste buds dancing.
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: Prepare the Potatoes
Start by preparing the potatoes.
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly to remove any dirt or debris.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the potatoes, removing their skins.
- Once peeled, rinse the potatoes again to remove any residual peelings.
Step 2: Cut and Boil the Potatoes
- Cut the potatoes into evenly sized chunks. This ensures that they cook uniformly.
- Place the potato chunks in a large pot and cover them with cold water. Add a pinch of salt to the water, which enhances the potato flavor.
- Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook the potatoes for about 15-20 minutes or until they are fork-tender. You can check their doneness by poking a fork into a potato chunk; it should easily slide in without resistance.
Step 3: Drain and Mash the Potatoes
- Once the potatoes are fork-tender, drain them in a colander and return them to the pot.
Step 4: Mash the Potatoes
- Mash the potatoes using a potato masher or a hand mixer. The choice of tool depends on your preference for the texture of the mashed potatoes. If you like them chunky, mash them with a potato masher; for smoother potatoes, use a hand mixer. Continue mashing until the desired consistency is achieved.
Step 5: Add Milk and Butter
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk and butter over low heat until the butter is completely melted. Be careful not to let the mixture come to a boil.
- Pour the warm milk and butter mixture into the mashed potatoes. This step adds a creamy texture and a buttery flavor to the dish.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly to combine the milk and butter with the mashed potatoes.
Step 6: Incorporate Sour Cream and Cheese
- Mix in the sour cream and half of the shredded cheddar cheese into the mashed potatoes. The sour cream adds tanginess and creaminess, while the cheddar cheese introduces a rich, savory element.
- Continue to stir until the cheese is completely melted, and the mixture is well combined.
Step 7: Season to Taste
- Season the loaded mashed potatoes with salt and pepper to taste. Start with a little salt and pepper and adjust based on your preferences. Be sure to taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. This step is crucial to ensure that the flavors are balanced and delicious.
Step 8: Serve and Garnish
- Transfer the loaded mashed potatoes to a serving dish, spreading them out evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top of the mashed potatoes. The residual heat will melt the cheese, creating a luscious, cheesy layer.
- Next, add the crumbled bacon, distributing it evenly over the potatoes. The bacon’s smoky and salty flavor pairs perfectly with the creamy potatoes.
- Finally, garnish with chopped green onions for a fresh, vibrant touch. You can also add extra bacon and green onions if desired.
Step 9: Enjoy Your Loaded Mashed Potatoes
Serve the loaded mashed potatoes while they are still hot. The combination of creamy potatoes, melted cheese, crispy bacon, and fresh green onions creates a delightful dish that will be loved by all. Enjoy!