Best Homemade thanksgiving recipe
Roast Turkey with Stuffing: A Thanksgiving Tradition
- 1 whole turkey (12-15 pounds)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups stale bread cubes
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- Additional herbs for turkey cavity (optional): thyme, rosemary, sage
- Gravy (optional)
Step 1: Prep the Turkey
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Remove the turkey from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Pat the turkey dry with paper towels, inside and out.
- Season the inside of the turkey cavity with salt and pepper. Optionally, stuff it with fresh thyme, rosemary, and sage for added flavor.
Step 2: Prepare the Herb Butter
- In a bowl, combine softened butter, minced garlic, and a tablespoon each of chopped thyme, rosemary, and sage.
- Mix well to create an herb-infused butter.
Step 3: Rub the Turkey with Herb Butter
- Gently lift the skin over the turkey breast and rub some of the herb butter underneath, directly onto the meat.
- Rub the remaining herb butter all over the outside of the turkey.
- Season the entire turkey generously with salt and pepper.
Step 4: Prepare the Stuffing
- In a large skillet, melt a tablespoon of butter.
- Sauté the diced onion until translucent.
- Add the celery and carrots, cooking until they soften.
- Stir in the stale bread cubes and herbs.
- Pour in the chicken broth to moisten the stuffing, mixing until well combined.
Step 5: Stuff the Turkey
- Loosely stuff the turkey cavity with the prepared stuffing. Remember not to overpack to allow even cooking.
- Truss the turkey legs together with kitchen twine for a uniform shape.
Step 6: Roast the Turkey
- Place the stuffed turkey on a roasting rack in a large roasting pan.
- Cover the turkey loosely with aluminum foil.
- Roast in the preheated oven, calculating approximately 15 minutes of cooking time per pound.
- Baste the turkey with pan juices every 30 minutes.
Step 7: Check for Doneness
- After the first few hours, remove the foil to allow the skin to brown.
- Check for doneness by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh. The internal temperature should reach 165°F (74°C).
Step 8: Let the Turkey Rest
- Once cooked, remove the turkey from the oven and tent it with foil.
- Allow the turkey to rest for at least 20-30 minutes before carving. This ensures the juices redistribute, resulting in a moist and flavorful turkey.
Step 9: Carve and Serve
- Carve the turkey into slices and arrange on a platter.
- Serve with your favorite Thanksgiving sides, cranberry sauce, and gravy.
Step 10: Enjoy Your Thanksgiving Feast!
Gather your loved ones, give thanks, and savor the deliciousness of your homemade roast turkey with stuffing. Happy Thanksgiving!