Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Sheet pan fajitas are a quick and healthy meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights. This recipe combines lean protein, colorful veggies, and bold Mexican flavors without the need for excessive oil or frying. In just a few simple steps, you’ll have a delicious and nutritious dinner that the whole family will enjoy.
Ingredients : For the Fajita Marinade:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Sheet Pan Fajitas:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers (any color), thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 8 small whole wheat tortillas
- Optional toppings: salsa, Greek yogurt, avocado, cilantro
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease it to prevent sticking.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the fajita marinade ingredients: olive oil, minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sliced chicken with half of the fajita marinade. Toss to coat the chicken thoroughly. Let it marinate for at least 10-15 minutes while you prepare the vegetables.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the sliced bell peppers, red onion, zucchini, and yellow squash. Drizzle the remaining marinade over the vegetables, and toss until they are well coated.
- Spread the marinated chicken in a single layer on one side of the prepared baking sheet, ensuring there is enough space for even cooking. On the other side of the sheet, spread out the coated vegetables.
- Roast the sheet pan in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, and the vegetables are tender. Be sure to toss the veggies and chicken halfway through the cooking time for even browning.
- While the fajitas are roasting, warm the whole wheat tortillas in a dry skillet or microwave them for about 20 seconds.
- Once the chicken and vegetables are ready, remove the sheet pan from the oven.
- Serve the fajitas by filling each tortilla with a generous portion of the cooked chicken and vegetables. Top with your choice of optional toppings such as salsa, Greek yogurt, sliced avocado, and fresh cilantro.
- Roll up the tortillas, and your healthy sheet pan fajitas are ready to enjoy!
Nutritional Tips (approx. 100 words): This sheet pan fajitas recipe offers a balance of lean protein, fiber, and essential nutrients. Using whole wheat tortillas instead of traditional flour tortillas adds more fiber to your meal. Additionally, you can customize your fajitas by choosing low-fat toppings like Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and adding extra veggies for added nutrients. This dish is low in saturated fat and can be easily adjusted to suit a variety of dietary preferences, making it a healthy and satisfying dinner option.