Classic Pumpkin Pie Recipe: A Timeless Fall Dessert
Introduction: Indulge in the quintessential flavors of autumn with this classic pumpkin pie recipe. Perfect for Thanksgiving or any fall occasion, this timeless dessert combines rich, spiced pumpkin filling with a flaky pie crust. Learn how to make this beloved treat that will have your guests coming back for seconds.
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 ¾ cups pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups evaporated milk or heavy cream
- Whipped cream (optional, for serving)
1. Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). Place a baking sheet in the oven while it preheats; this will help prevent a soggy crust.
2. Prepare the Pie Crust:
- Roll out the pie crust and line a 9-inch pie dish with it. Trim any excess dough hanging over the edges and crimp the edges decoratively.
3. Mix the Filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, granulated sugar, salt, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground cloves. Mix until well combined.
4. Beat the Eggs:
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs lightly. Then, add the beaten eggs to the pumpkin mixture and mix until incorporated.
5. Add the Cream:
- Gradually add the evaporated milk or heavy cream to the pumpkin mixture, stirring until the filling is smooth and well combined.
6. Fill the Pie Crust:
- Pour the pumpkin filling into the prepared pie crust. Use a spatula to smooth the top for an even surface.
7. Bake the Pie:
- Carefully place the pie on the preheated baking sheet in the oven. Bake at 425°F (220°C) for 15 minutes.
8. Reduce the Temperature:
- After 15 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (175°C) without opening the oven door. Continue baking for an additional 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife inserted into the center of the pie comes out clean.
9. Cool and Serve:
- Once baked, remove the pie from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for at least two hours. This allows the pie to set.
10. Optional Topping: – Before serving, you can add a dollop of whipped cream to each slice for a delightful finishing touch.
Conclusion: There you have it – a classic pumpkin pie that’s bound to be the star of your fall dessert table. With its flaky crust and perfectly spiced pumpkin filling, this recipe captures the essence of autumn. Whether you’re celebrating Thanksgiving or simply savoring the flavors of the season, this timeless pumpkin pie is sure to delight your taste buds and warm your heart.