Creamy Butternut Squash Soup Recipe: One pot Best 1
Autumn is synonymous with comfort foods, and one dish that truly captures the essence of the season is Butternut Squash Soup. The warm, earthy flavors of roasted butternut squash, enhanced by the subtle notes of cinnamon and nutmeg, make this soup a comforting delight. Whether you’re looking to impress guests at a fall gathering or simply craving a bowl of cozy goodness, this recipe will become a seasonal favorite.
- 1 large butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream (you can substitute with half-and-half for a lighter version)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional garnishes: roasted pumpkin seeds, a drizzle of cream, fresh chives
- Preheat the Oven: Start by preheating your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Prepare the Butternut Squash: Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. You can save the seeds for roasting later. Place the squash halves on a baking sheet, cut side up.
- Roast the Squash: Drizzle the squash with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes, or until the flesh is tender and can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Cool and Scoop: Allow the roasted squash to cool slightly, and then scoop out the flesh from the skin. You should have approximately 4 cups of roasted butternut squash. Set it aside.
Cooking the Soup:
- Saute the Onions and Garlic: In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook until they become translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the Spices: Sprinkle the ground cinnamon and nutmeg over the onions and garlic, and stir for a minute to release the aromas.
- Combine with Squash: Add the roasted butternut squash to the pot, followed by the vegetable or chicken broth. Stir well to combine.
- Simmer: Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Blend Smooth: Using an immersion blender or a regular blender (in batches, if necessary), puree the soup until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Return to Heat: Return the blended soup to the pot over low heat. Add the heavy cream (or half-and-half) and stir until well incorporated. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve and Garnish: Ladle the creamy butternut squash soup into bowls and garnish with your choice of toppings, such as roasted pumpkin seeds, a drizzle of cream, or fresh chives.
Enjoy Your Butternut Squash Soup!
This Butternut Squash Soup is a delightful combination of rich, creamy, and perfectly seasoned flavors, making it an ideal choice for any fall meal. Serve it as a comforting starter for a holiday gathering or enjoy it on a chilly evening with a side of crusty bread. The sweet and nutty undertones of the roasted butternut squash, along with the aromatic spices, will make every spoonful a warm hug from autumn.