Hearty Beef Chili Recipe
Beef chili is a beloved comfort food known for its rich, spicy, and hearty flavors. Whether you’re preparing it for a casual weeknight dinner or a festive gathering, this recipe will guide you through the steps to create a delicious pot of homemade beef chili that will satisfy your cravings. With a perfect balance of tender beef, beans, and a blend of spices, this dish is sure to become a family favorite.
- 2 pounds of lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, finely diced (adjust to your desired level of spiciness)
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) of diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14 ounces) of tomato sauce
- 1 can (14 ounces) of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 ounces) of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 ounces) of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of beef broth
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions, and sliced jalapeños
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped onions and sauté for about 2 minutes until they become translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and continue to sauté for another 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add the ground beef to the pot and cook, breaking it apart with a spatula, until it’s browned and no longer pink. This should take approximately 5-7 minutes. Drain any excess fat if needed.
- Stir in the diced red and green bell peppers and the jalapeño peppers. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until the peppers begin to soften.
- Add the diced tomatoes (with their juice) and tomato sauce to the pot. Stir well to combine.
- Season the mixture with chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper. Adjust the spice level to your preference by adding more or less chili powder and jalapeños.
- Pour in the beef broth to thin out the chili and bring it to a gentle simmer.
- Add the drained and rinsed kidney beans, black beans, and pinto beans to the pot. Stir everything together.
- Cover the pot and let the chili simmer over low heat for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. However, longer simmering times can enhance the taste even further. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Taste the chili and adjust the seasonings if necessary. You can add more salt, pepper, or spices to achieve your desired flavor profile.
- Serve the beef chili hot in bowls, garnished with your favorite toppings such as shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions, and sliced jalapeños.
Conclusion: This hearty beef chili recipe is a surefire crowd-pleaser, perfect for warming up on a cold day or enjoying with friends and family during game day gatherings. With a flavorful blend of spices, tender beef, and an assortment of beans, this chili will satisfy your taste buds and leave you craving another bowl. Experiment with different toppings to make it your own, and don’t forget to share this delicious dish with your loved ones. Enjoy!