Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, corn, and green beans)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 prepared pie crusts (store-bought or homemade)
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).Start by preheating your oven to the recommended temperature. This ensures that it’s ready to bake your delicious Chicken Pot Pie once you’ve assembled it.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add onions and celery, sauté until they become tender.In a large skillet, melt the 1/3 cup of unsalted butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted and bubbling, add the 1/2 cup of diced onion and the 1/2 cup of diced celery. Sauté them in the butter until they become tender and translucent. This should take around 5-7 minutes. Sautéing the vegetables in the butter adds a rich, savory flavor to your filling.
- Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and thyme, cooking for about 1-2 minutes until the mixture thickens and becomes a roux.After the onions and celery have softened, it’s time to create the base for your Chicken Pot Pie filling. Gradually add the 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour to the skillet while continuously stirring. This will form a paste, or roux, that will help thicken your filling. Continue to stir and cook the roux for about 1-2 minutes until it becomes a pale golden color. This ensures that the floury taste is cooked out, leaving behind a rich and smooth base.
- Slowly add the chicken broth and milk, stirring constantly until the mixture is smooth and thickened.To create a velvety, creamy filling for your Chicken Pot Pie, gradually pour in the 1 3/4 cups of chicken broth and the 2/3 cup of milk, all while stirring constantly. The key here is to pour slowly and stir vigorously to ensure that the liquid is fully incorporated into the roux. This process should result in a smooth and thickened mixture.
- Add the cooked chicken and mixed vegetables, stirring to combine. Remove from heat.Once the liquid is well integrated, it’s time to introduce the star ingredients: the 2 cups of cooked chicken, diced into bite-sized pieces, and the 2 cups of mixed vegetables. These mixed vegetables typically include peas, carrots, corn, and green beans, adding a colorful and nutritious element to your filling. Stir everything together to evenly distribute the chicken and vegetables within the creamy mixture. This will create a delectable blend of flavors and textures.
- Line a pie dish with one of the pie crusts. Pour the chicken and vegetable mixture into the crust.To create the pastry base for your Chicken Pot Pie, you’ll need a pie dish and your 2 prepared pie crusts. Line the pie dish with one of the pie crusts, ensuring that it covers the bottom and sides of the dish. This will serve as the foundation for your Chicken Pot Pie. Gently press the crust into the dish to ensure it adheres properly.
- Place the second pie crust on top, sealing the edges and cutting slits on the top for ventilation.Once you’ve lined the dish with the first pie crust, it’s time to complete the top layer. Place the second pie crust on top of the filling. To seal the edges of the two crusts, press them together using your fingers or a fork. This ensures that the filling is enclosed and that your Chicken Pot Pie has a beautifully crimped edge.Don’t forget to make some slits or small cuts on the top crust. This is important for ventilation during baking. It allows steam to escape, preventing the filling from becoming too soggy and the crust from becoming overly doughy. It also gives your pie that classic look with visible steam vents.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.With your Chicken Pot Pie beautifully assembled, it’s time to bake it to golden perfection. Place the pie dish in your preheated oven at 425°F (220°C). Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes, or until the crust turns a delightful golden brown and the filling is bubbling. This is the moment when your kitchen will be filled with the irresistible aroma of a freshly baked Chicken Pot Pie.
- Let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy your homemade Chicken Pot Pie!After taking the pie out of the oven, let it cool for a few minutes. This allows the filling to set, making it easier to slice and serve. Once it’s at a comfortable temperature, it’s time to dig in and enjoy your homemade Chicken Pot Pie. The combination of the tender chicken, colorful mixed vegetables, and creamy, flavorful sauce enclosed in a flaky, golden crust is sure to be a comforting and satisfying meal for you and your loved ones. Enjoy!
This detailed Chicken Pot Pie recipe ensures that every step is explained clearly, making it accessible for cooks of all skill levels. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or just starting in the kitchen, you’ll be able to create a delicious homemade Chicken Pot Pie with these instructions.