Korean Beef Bulgogi Recipe
For the Marinade:
- 1 pound (450g) thinly sliced beef (ribeye or sirloin is best)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- 1 small carrot, julienned (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small piece of ginger, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 pear or apple, grated (for natural sweetness)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons mirin (rice wine) or white wine (optional)
- 1 tablespoon honey or corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (for cooking)
- Prepare the Beef:
- Slice the beef into thin, bite-sized pieces. You can ask your butcher to do this for you or partially freeze the meat to make it easier to slice thinly.
- Make the Marinade:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the grated pear or apple, minced garlic, minced ginger, soy sauce, sugar, mirin (if using), honey or corn syrup, sesame oil, sesame seeds, and black pepper. Mix well until the sugar is dissolved.
- Marinate the Beef:
- Place the sliced beef, sliced onion, and julienned carrot (if using) in a large ziplock bag or a bowl.
- Pour the marinade over the beef and vegetables.
- Seal the bag or cover the bowl, then massage the marinade into the meat, making sure every piece is coated.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to 2 hours. For the best flavor, marinate it for a longer time, even overnight.
- Cook the Bulgogi:
- Heat a large skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Add the vegetable oil and let it heat up.
- Add the marinated beef and vegetables to the hot pan. You may need to cook it in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Stir-fry for 3-5 minutes or until the beef is cooked through and slightly caramelized. You can cook it longer if you like it more well-done.
- Add the chopped green onions during the last minute of cooking and stir to combine.
- Serve the Bulgogi:
- Transfer the cooked beef bulgogi to a serving platter.
- Serve it with steamed rice and your favorite side dishes (banchan). You can also serve it with lettuce leaves or perilla leaves to make wraps.