Healthy Shrimp Pad Thai Rice recipe
Cooking recipes In English
FOR THE PAD THAI STIR-FRY:
- 4 ounces dry brown rice noodles (rice sticks)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces medium or large shrimp, peeled and deveined (you can use either fresh shrimp or thawed frozen shrimp—if using thawed, lightly pat the shrimp dry prior to cooking)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts*
- 1/2 cup freshly grated carrots
- 2 large or 3 small green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped peanuts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges, for serving
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce** (gluten free if needed)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar (I used seasoned)
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon honey, plus additional 1-2 teaspoons to taste
- 1-3 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- Cook the rice noodles according to package instructions. They should be soft but not mushy. Drain and rinse under cool water.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients: fish sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, water, 1 tablespoon honey, and 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce.
- If you prefer a sweeter pad Thai, add additional honey. For spicier, add additional chili paste.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet or wok over medium high. Add the shrimp and cook just until the shrimp begins to turn pink, about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and noodles. Stir continuously to coat the noodles and shrimp with the garlic, then push the ingredients in the skillet over to one side of the pan.
- Crack the eggs into the empty side of the skillet. Break apart the yolk with the spatula and let cook for 30 seconds, until just beginning to set.
- Stir the egg in with the noodles. Stir in the sauce.
- Add the bean sprouts, carrots, and chopped green onions and let cook until the bean sprouts are crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Sprinkle on the peanuts and cilantro. Serve immediately with lime wedges.
- NUTRITION FACTS Serving Size: 1 (of 3)
- Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 302mg Sodium: 1502mg Carbohydrates: 46g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 12g Protein: 30g