The best keto meatloaf Recipe
Classic Meatloaf Recipe
Meatloaf is a timeless comfort food that brings together a delicious blend of ground beef and pork, complemented by a savory glaze. This recipe yields a moist and flavorful meatloaf that’s perfect for family dinners or special occasions. Let’s dive into the step-by-step process of creating this classic dish.
For the meatloaf:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1. Preheat the Oven: Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C). This ensures your meatloaf cooks evenly and thoroughly.
2. Prepare the Meat Mixture: In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef and ground pork. The pork adds a wonderful depth of flavor and moisture to the meatloaf. To this, add finely chopped onions and minced garlic, which will infuse the meatloaf with a delightful aroma and flavor.
3. Add Breadcrumbs and Binders: To create a cohesive mixture, add one cup of breadcrumbs. Breadcrumbs act as binders, holding the meatloaf together. Then, incorporate two large eggs, which provide structure and moisture. Pour in 1/2 cup of milk to make the meatloaf tender and moist. It’s these ingredients that make the texture of the meatloaf perfect.
4. Seasoning the Meatloaf: For seasoning, add 1/4 cup of ketchup, 1/4 cup of freshly chopped parsley, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. The ketchup provides a hint of sweetness and tanginess, while parsley contributes a fresh herbaceous note. Salt and pepper are the essential seasonings that enhance all the flavors in the meatloaf.
5. Mix Well: Now, it’s time to get your hands dirty. Use your hands to thoroughly mix all the ingredients together. Make sure everything is evenly distributed, ensuring every bite of your meatloaf is full of flavor.
6. Shape the Meatloaf: Form the meat mixture into a loaf shape. This is the iconic meatloaf shape that we all recognize. Place it in a baking dish, ensuring it’s compact and evenly shaped.
7. Prepare the Glaze: In a separate small bowl, prepare the glaze by combining 1/2 cup of ketchup, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard, and 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. The glaze adds a sweet and savory element to the dish and a beautiful shine to the finished meatloaf.
8. Glaze the Meatloaf: Evenly spread the glaze over the top of the meatloaf. This glaze will caramelize during baking, creating a delectable crust on the outside of the meatloaf.
9. Bake: Place the meatloaf in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 1 hour. You can check for doneness by using a meat thermometer. When the internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C), it’s ready. This step ensures your meatloaf is safe to eat while still remaining moist and flavorful.
10. Rest and Slice: After removing the meatloaf from the oven, let it rest for a few minutes. Resting allows the juices to redistribute, ensuring a juicy, tender slice of meatloaf. Once it has rested, slice the meatloaf into generous portions.
11. Serve: Serve your homemade meatloaf with your choice of side dishes. Mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables make for a classic and comforting combination. Enjoy this hearty meal with family and friends.
Meatloaf is a versatile dish that can be customized to your preferences. You can add diced vegetables, herbs, or different spices to suit your taste. This classic meatloaf recipe, with its perfect blend of ground beef and pork, combined with a sweet and savory glaze, is sure to become a family favorite.