FLAUTAS DE POLLO
Flautas de Pollo, or Chicken Flautas, are a beloved Mexican dish known for their crispy, rolled tortillas filled with tender and flavorful shredded chicken. These delectable delights are perfect for family dinners, parties, or as a satisfying snack. In this comprehensive recipe, we’ll guide you through the process of making authentic Chicken Flautas, complete with a seasoned chicken filling, rolling technique, and tips for achieving that perfect, golden crisp. Get ready to savor the delicious flavors of Mexico with this step-by-step recipe.
To create Chicken Flautas, you’ll need the following ingredients:
For the Chicken Filling:
- 2 cups of shredded cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken works well)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup of chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
For the Flautas: 10. 12 small corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Toothpicks for securing the flautas
- Optional toppings: sour cream, guacamole, salsa, shredded lettuce, and crumbled queso fresco
Now, let’s dive into the step-by-step instructions to make these mouthwatering Chicken Flautas.
Part 1: Preparing the Chicken Filling
- Shred the Cooked Chicken: Begin by shredding the cooked chicken into small, bite-sized pieces. If you’re using a rotisserie chicken, remove the skin and bones, then shred the meat. Set aside the shredded chicken in a bowl.
- Sauté Onions and Garlic: Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the finely chopped onions and minced garlic and sauté for about 2-3 minutes until they become translucent and fragrant.
- Season the Filling: Add the shredded chicken to the skillet with the sautéed onions and garlic. Season with ground cumin, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Stir well to coat the chicken evenly with the spices.
- Add Fresh Cilantro: Toss in the chopped cilantro to infuse the filling with a burst of fresh flavor. Continue to cook the chicken mixture for another 2-3 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Moisturize with Chicken Broth: Pour 1/4 cup of chicken broth into the skillet to keep the chicken moist and flavorful. Stir and simmer for an additional 3-4 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the filling is well-seasoned and succulent.
Part 2: Assembling the Chicken Flautas
- Warm the Corn Tortillas: To make the corn tortillas pliable, warm them in a microwave or on a griddle for about 20-30 seconds. This will make it easier to roll them without cracking.
- Fill and Roll: Place a small portion of the chicken filling in the center of each tortilla. Roll up the tortilla tightly around the filling, ensuring that it’s snug but not overstuffed. Secure the rolled flauta with toothpicks, piercing them through the seam to prevent them from unraveling.
Part 3: Frying the Chicken Flautas
- Heat the Oil: In a deep skillet or frying pan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. You’ll want about 1 inch of oil in the pan. To check if the oil is hot enough, insert a wooden spoon into the oil; if small bubbles form around the wood, the oil is ready for frying.
- Fry the Flautas: Carefully place the rolled flautas in the hot oil seam-side down, a few at a time, ensuring they don’t touch each other. Fry until they are golden brown and crispy, which should take about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Drain and Repeat: Remove the cooked flautas from the oil and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil. Continue frying the remaining flautas in batches.
Part 4: Serving the Chicken Flautas
- Optional Toppings: Serve the Chicken Flautas hot, garnished with your choice of toppings. Common options include a dollop of sour cream, guacamole, salsa, shredded lettuce, and crumbled queso fresco.
- Remove Toothpicks: Before serving, be sure to remove the toothpicks from the flautas to avoid any accidents.
Chicken Flautas, with their crispy exteriors and succulent, spiced chicken fillings, are a delightful Mexican dish perfect for any occasion. This comprehensive recipe guides you through every step, from preparing the seasoned chicken filling to rolling, frying, and serving these delicious delights. Whether enjoyed as a snack, appetizer, or main course, Chicken Flautas are sure to satisfy your craving for authentic Mexican flavors. Gather your ingredients, get rolling, and relish the savory, crispy goodness of these mouthwatering treats.